Every time fashion season rolls around, we're all excited to see what the fashion set wears to the runway shows. Street Style photographers and bloggers have hit the big time over the past few years, but who gets photographed and why? Turns out there's a pattern. So if you wanted to get (hypothetically) photographed at Fall 2012 (I don't know, some of you might be heading to Paree), here's a few hints to help you on your way.
1. Have your mobile in your hand. You don't need to be texting/tweeting/facebooking or anything else of the sort; all you need to do is pretend. You'll look busy and important (which you are), and the camera parade will adore it. An iPhone is preferable, but the odd Blackberry does appear.
2. Wear colour. You'll stand out from the crowd, and even with your best model pout on, it'll make you look happier than the rest of the fashion set. Colour blocking is a wise tactic; orange and blue and purple and red and yellow and everything else can all work together. In most situations I wouldn't recommend a head to toe green suit, but at fashion week you can just go crazy with it.
3. Invest in some headgear. Most of these fashion cities are chilly in February and March, so a beanie hat will keep your ears toastie. If you choose a beanie I suggest wearing it with a partial smile, because let's face it, the girl in the first picture is just cute. If you wear a black accessory, stand near a coloured wall; it'll look better. And if you don't mind looking overly religious, having a hat obscuring the majority of your vision and extending halfway down your spine, then Balenciaga's hats are sure to get attention.
4. Don't use the sleeves on your outerwear. Or do, and wear another piece over the top (also this will be extra cosy). You'll run the risk of it falling off every ten minutes, and you'll be forced to hold it together (impairing phone holding ability), but let's face it, outerwear wasn't made with the intention of being worn properly.
5. Become a model. Admittedly this is tougher than getting yourself an iPhone or wearing a hat, but it's a sure fire way to get the lens attention. Bonus street style points if you are wearing a hat (mentioned above), eating an ice cream, on the phone, in Givenchy, or if you just are Hanne Gaby Odiele, queen of Model Street Style.
6. Be Anna Dello Russo (note the hats) or Miroslava Duma; if this situation arises then it's game over and you have won. Wherever you go, even if you're in brown dungarees or halfway in a car, you will be photographed. And everyone will love it.
7. Style yourself to perfection. If anyone think's that Proenza Schouler's Spring 2010's prints weren't perfect, then they don't deserve to be photographed at all. Pair it with a navy vest, industrial scale jewellery, handheld sunglasses and your snazzy runway show invitation.
Also you could try socks with shoes, comfy and Grandad-chic...
...wear the hairest blue you can find, pair it with icy leather, and then stand next to a wall of identical hue...
...don't use a bag that fits the things you need it, just use one that looks pretty as punch.
Good luck dressing for the streets.